- The UNC Board of Governors, Teaching Excellence Award, (2005).
- The Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award, (2004).
- The J. Marshall Crews Distinguished Faculty Award, (2004)
- “Exemplary” status, Post Tenure Review, (2004).
- The Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award (2002).
- University Nominee, the Oliver Max Gardner Award (humanitarian efforts by a faculty member in the UNC system), 1998.
CITATIONS & MERITS
- Merit Certificate from Dean Seiple for “Outstanding contribution as Faculty Internship Advisor,”
- Recognition of assistance in the service-learning project of the UNCW Gerontology Program, (2000).
- Special recognition from UNCW Career Services for “commitment to quality education (that) has made a real difference in the lives of many students,” (2000).
- Honored by Office of Housing and Residence Life for “providing leadership, service, and dedication to UNCW,” April (2000).
- Invitation by the Chancellor to a reception honoring outstanding faculty, (Spring 1999).
- Recognized by Honors and International House residents as a favorite faculty member (1998-1999).
St. John Fisher College, (Rochester, NY)
- College nominee, CASE Professor of the Year. Sponsored by the Carnegie Endowment for the Advancement of College Teaching, (1989).
- College nominee, CASE Professor of the Year, (1988).
- Award for Teaching Excellence, (1977).
- Board of Trustees Award for Distinguished Scholarship
- Rev. Joseph B. Dorsey Award for Outstanding Faculty Service (twice).